Sunday, May 26, 2013

If You've Seen One SUV, You've Seen Them All

Okay, as Father's Day is soon approaching, I am reminded of a specific event that has defined my image of my Dad forever.    Forget the late night feedings, years of parental guidance, and all that cash I must have sucked up from his future retirement fund throughout my childhood.....

THIS is the memory that has over-come all others in the history of mysuestories and her dad...(yes...dear reader, I am speaking of myself in the third person again.   Deal with it).

Many moons ago (read: one spouse ago), my then-husband and I had my dad and kids in the car.  What we were doing and why escapes me.......Yes, I am mysuestories, and I am getting too old to remember details......

Anyway, at some point, my dad decided he wanted to stop at the local supermarket for something (see above comment for lack of details as to what he wanted to purchase).     We pull into the local market parking lot, and Dad says he will just run into the store by himself (rather than disconnect two kids from car seats who will then want him to buy them everything in the forbidden snack aisle).  A wise choice...probably the last wise choice made that day!

We are sitting in our average, non-descript, black SUV (pay attention...these details will be important later, I promise) with the kids.....waiting for Dad, a.k.a. Pop Pop, to emerge from the market.

Finally, ten minutes later, I see my dad emerge from the store.  Great.  Let's get the kids and him home already.....(Patience has never been my strong suit...Surprised much, constant reader?)   Anyway, I am watching my dad leave the store and head in the general direction of our SUV.   All is good, no?

Apparently?  NO.  I watch in horror as my dad begins to approach a similar average, non-descript, SUV.......He is carrying his purchases (again,  no idea what said purchase is)....and smiling and almost skipping to the car.

At this point?   I realize something is amiss......He is heading to the wrong car.   He reaches the  other vehicle....goes around to the passenger back seat door (which, to his credit, is where he was sitting in our   vehicle).....

Now, it is important to note here, that there is a woman sitting in the driver's seat of this similar but oh so not our vehicle...completely oblivious to what is about to happen.......

I attempt to roll down my car window  to shout, oh, I don't know, maybe "Hey, Dad, THAT IS NOT OUR CAR"?   but I find myself hysterically laughing and in tears of probably joy for the blog post material that is unfolding before my eyes....I am unable to get the window down .....

At this point, my smiling dad opens the (Of course) unlocked back passenger door and hops in the car.  As I watch,   (yes still laughing AND crying. .hey , nobody ever said call mysuestories to prevent a disaster)...the woman in the driver's seat turns to see that her new passenger is not the person she is waiting to emerge from the market.

She screams (Ok, we really couldn't hear this....my window is still closed, and so were hers,  but trust me on this...)  She screams......My dad?  He then screams as well........

He hops out of the car as if it were on fire!   And noticing OUR car just a few spots over (with one daughter in tears in the front seat!) dashes to our car and hops in!!!!!

I, to this day, have no idea what that poor woman must have thought....But me?   I thought that was the funniest thing I have ever seen!






No comments: