Saturday, December 13, 2008

Friends in Low Places

I've got friends in low places. So says Garth Brooks (http://www.garthbrooks.com/) and it is probably true for a lot of us. But I'll tell you one thing. I have friends that would be here in a flash if I needed them. I have friends who have proudly stood as bridesmaids, even though they should have been matrons of honor. I have friends who have let me cry on their shoulder when life beat me down, and friends who have held those same shoulders (and some hair) when I've had too much to drink. I have friends who have taken me out for celebrations, and mourned along side me in times of deep sorrow. They've attended my parties and thrown more than a few for me.


They've watched my kids, baby sat my dogs while we've been away (trust me, harder than watching the kids!), and helped in endless home repairs with their varying degrees of expertise. We've painted rooms together and passed the time together during the hunting season. We've shared vegetables from our gardens and secrets from our closets. And STILL they love me. Because thats what friends are for.





And THAT'S why I am heading back out to the malls again. This may be the time of year for battling crowds, spending more than is prudent, and overindulging in food and drink. But it's also that time of year where we will gather with our most precious friends and exchange trinkets and tokens of our mutual affection. And we WILL gather , and we will overindulge in both food and drink. And if necessary, we will hold and comfort one another, and ring in a new and brighter New Year.





So, in the midst of the commercialization of the holidays, let me take this moment to say thank you to all our friends ,near, far, and especially those virtual (your e-cards are in the e-mail!).





It's been one helluva year, and we thank you for sharing it with us, good and bad. And we look forward with open hearts to a brighter, healthier, and yes, funnier new year spent with all of you!



And now,....to the malls!

No comments: